Monday, April 21, 2014

Commemoration Anselm, April 21



Commemoration
April 21

Anselm, Archbishop of Canterbury, Teacher, d. 1109

Reflection

Anselm forsook his considerable inheritance to enter the Benedictine monastery of Bec in Normandy. His attraction was devotion to faith wedded with intellectual rigor, particularly as practiced by the prior Lanfranc, a fellow Italian. After Lanfranc left for another appointment, Anselm assumed the position of prior and eventually abbot and raised the reputation of Bec even higher that before. In 1093, Anselm succeeded Lanfranc a second time, this time as Archbishop of Canterbury. Anselm’s tenure set him overagainst more than one king of England. Anselm is known, among other things, for his argument for the existence of God “than whom nothing greater can be conceived,” as well as his so-called satisfaction theory of atonement.

Prayer

I acknowledge, Lord, and I give thanks that you have created your image in me, so that I may remember you, think of you, love you. But this image is so obliterated and worn away by wickedness, it is so obscured by the smoke of sins, that it cannot do what it was created to do, unless you renew and reform it. I am not attempting, O Lord, to penetrate your loftiness, for I cannot begin to match my understanding with it, but I desire in some measure to understand your truth, which my heart believes and loves. For I do not seek to understand in order to believe, but I believe in order to understand. For this too I believe, that “unless I believe, I shall not understand” (Isaiah 7:9). (Anselm, Proslogion, Preface, I)


No comments:

Post a Comment