Tuesday, August 12, 2014

. . . for my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples.



Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Scripture

. . . for my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples. (Isaiah 56:7b)

Reflection

Last week a young man slipped into the back pew of the sanctuary during worship; I had never seen him before. After worship, he greeted me and asked if he could talk privately with me. He was new in town, was driving by, saw our rather full parking lot, and decided to come in. His soul was troubled and he was looking for direction.

God’s words through the prophet Isaiah still challenge us in the church. Are we a place where all are welcome? Do we go out of our way to welcome the stranger? When I see first-time visitors, I wonder how many of our folks have taken the initiative to greet them. When they do not come back for a second visit, I wonder if we have let them down without knowing.

It’s all too easy for the church to become a “club” of folks who know each other well. While it’s always good to see friends and to visit with them every Sunday, I wonder if we’re neglecting the guest in our midst.

Every once in a while, someone suggests that we have designated “greeters.” While the sentiment is good, I wonder if it takes the responsibility off the rest of us to welcome the stranger in our midst. We just might be welcoming angels in our midst! Or Jesus himself!


Prayer

Gracious God, Inspire and embolden us to welcome all people who seek your vision, that your house should be a house of prayer for all peoples. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment