Thursday, February 6, 2014

"His Hands"



His Hands

His age more than a score more years than mine,
his hands large and strong,
still bearing the sinews of his brick laying years,
yet generous and soft, like a cushion or a cloud,
inviting me to lay my burdens down.

Our visit was over,
his heavy eyes betraying the weariness
of his frail frame struggling to heal itself.
“Two more weeks before going home,” the verdict rendered.
A good thing, I thought as I looked and I listened.
He wheeled his chair closer to the bed tray to reach for his water.
His lips were parched and his throat was dry.

We spoke of things both lowly and holy,
though which was which might be debatable.
But he is no longer capable of complicated theology, so he said.
He had given me the remnants of his pastoral study some time ago.

After I listened, I sang a song of the season:
“God in flesh made manifest,” sings the refrain.

Then I took his hands in mine to pray “Our Father.”
But the longer we prayed,
the more he took my hands in his,
and then it was no long my hands holding his,
or his hands holding mine,
but Our Father holding both of us.

“God in flesh made manifest.”  

David Tryggestad
Reflecting on my visit with Fred Norlien
January 24, 2013

Copyright © 2013 David Tryggestad. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment