Monday, February 10, 2014

"My Jabbok"



My Jabbok

How many times must I cross you, oh my Jabbok!
My nightly wrestling wearies my soul,
and I am wrung out.
If I could cross you but once I might carry on.
The One standing guard at your ford could bless me but once
and I would limp away.

Away . . .

But I am always brought back to you,
to cross you yet again,
to wrestle the night long,
with the One who keeps watch.

Each night I demand the blessing,
for I cannot live without it,
and each night the One touches me yet again,
and I am out of joint.

The One has changed my name.
I am no longer one who cheats.
I am no longer one who displaces.
I am one who strives.
I am one who prevails.

So you shall no longer be Jabbok;
you shall be Peniel.
For I have seen the One face to face,
and my life is preserved.

David Tryggestad
October 8, 2013
On the 24th Anniversary of my Ordination
Copyright © 2013 David Tryggestad. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment