Saturday, March 29, 2014

Commemoration Nahs Nielsen Hauge, Renewer of the Church, d. 1824



Saturday, March 29, 2014

Commemoration

Hans Nielsen Hauge, Renewer of the Church, d. 1824

Reflection

While working outdoors, Hans Nielsen Hauge sang, “All that I am and possess I surrender . . .” He wrote in his autobiography, “At this point my mind became so exalted that I was not myself aware of, nor can I express, what took place in my soul. For I was beside myself. . . . That my soul experienced something supernatural, divine, and blessed; that there was a glory that no tongue can utter . . . the love of God visited me so abundantly.” Inspired by the conviction that God had called him, a layperson, Hauge launched a preaching crusade throughout his native Norway, with the message of what he called “the living faith,” the personal commitment to the Lord that transforms the believer’s life. Unsanctioned itinerant preachers and religious gatherings were illegal in Norway, thus Hauge spent all together more than a dozen years in prison. Three of his four children died young, as did his first wife. Hauge wrote some 30 books.

Because Hauge’s influence in Norway peaked during the period of greatest Nowegian immigration to America, the Haugean spirit was one of the main streams of Norwegian-American Lutheranism, particularly regarding enriching the spiritual life of the laity.

Prayer

Gracious God, Continue to raise up people from all walks of life to inspire your people and to renew your Church. In Jesus’ name. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment