Monday, March 10, 2014

Sermon First Sunday in Lent March 9



THE FIRST SUNDAY IN LENT
Year A
March 9, 2014
Genesis 2:15-17; 3:1-7
Psalm 32
Romans 5:12-19
Matthew 4:1-11
Pastor David Tryggestad
Concordia Evangelical Lutheran Church
Duluth, Minnesota

I fell into a hole of my own making. I was carrying groceries from the car. I had not walked more than a few feet when I went down like a ton of bricks. There I was, sprawled out on the ice and snow, my sack torn and the contents strewn all around.

The hole I stepped in was of my own making. Our driveway is gravel with a layer of thick ice—like most of the residential streets in Duluth—and after the last big storm two weeks ago Thursday, my little Ford Focus was stuck in the ice, and we had been out of town. Even though we were shoveled out, I could not get the car to move; the wheels only spun. I shoveled more, I got out the cat litter, I used an iron crow bar to dig down into the ice to finally free my front wheels. I was left with two fairly large craters where the front tires had been.

On Friday, I stepped in one of them, twisted my ankle, and went down. 

I’ve told this story before. It was fourteen years ago.

The phone rang in my study here at church. It was my friend, Tom. He was weeping.

Tom and I had served together on the staff of a large congregation in Eau Claire. He was in youth ministry and I in worship and music. Tom was fresh out of college, and the first time I met him he had his guitar strapped over his shoulder. We hung out together a lot. He’d come over to our house—he loved playing with our kids. Tom fell in love with a daughter of the congregation and their wedding was one of the big events of the year. I played the organ for their wedding. After five or six years, Tom went to Luther Seminary in St. Paul to become a pastor. Three years later, I followed. Tom’s wife, Lynne, was our youngest son’s preschool teacher and helped teach Soren to talk. A year later, I played the organ for Tom’s ordination service. Tom and Lynne moved to Fargo for his first call, where their children were born, Isaac and Rachel. We visited them on our way out to Holden Village, the Lutheran camp in Chelan, Washington, after I graduated from the seminary three years later.

Tom was weeping over the phone. “I’ll never see my children graduate from high school. I’ll never see them get married. I’ll never see them have children of their own.” Tom had testicular cancer that had metastasized.

Tom was weeping, and through his weeping, he was also singing. He was singing a melody without the lyrics, because he could not remember them. Tom was insistent: “What are the words? I can’t remember the words!” For Tom, there was something about the lyrics to the tune that he knew was important, but he couldn’t remember.

Tom was singing the melody of our Kyrie hymn that we sang a few minutes ago, a Kyrie that has been used in the Slavic churches, in particular. We had sung the hymn through the season of Lent one year when we were together in Eau Claire. As Tom sang, I filled in the words:

Your heart, O God, is grieved, we know
by ev’ry evil, ev’ry woe . . .

These are the words Tom was especially groping for:

. . . upon your cross-forsaken Son,
our death is laid, and peace is won.

Yesterday’s Duluth News Tribune reported that Amy Senser will be out of jail on work release beginning next month. She was the driver of the vehicle that struck and killed a 38-year-old man on an exit ramp off I-94 in the Cities in 2011. The man’s car had run out of gas. It was dark. The ramp was narrow.

Senser expressed deep regret over what happened. She apologized to the parents of the man who died. She had the man’s name tattooed on her body so as never to forget.

There is no end to the “what-ifs” in a situation like this. “What if Senser had been more attentive? What if the victim had not allowed his vehicle to run out of gas? What if the civil engineer who designed the ramp had allowed more room? What if the highway department had provided better lighting for night driving?”

How do we find meaning in reckless death? How do we find meaning in a death like my friend Tom’s.

When Tom called me, he wasn’t asking “Why?” Perhaps he had gone beyond that. Perhaps he had never asked that question. But he was groping for the words to that hymn:

. . . upon your cross-forsaken Son,
our death is laid, and peace is won.

Tom was groping for meaning in his death.

Our choices have consequences. Some of the consequences are minor, even insignificant. But other consequences can be tragic, catastrophic.

During the season of Lent, we often talk about “giving something up.” One man I talked with on Thursday is giving up Diet Coke during Lent. He’s quite addicted to it, and he said that giving it up is for him a daily reminder of the sacrifice Jesus made for us.

I like to think of Lent as a time to embrace more deeply the practices of the faith. On Ash Wednesday, we were invited to embrace the disciplines of Lent: self-examination and repentance, prayer and fasting, sacrificial giving and works of love.

In light of our texts for today, what if we more intentionally considered the consequences of the decisions we make. How will our decisions affect those around us? How will our decisions affect the environment? How will our decisions reflect the love of Christ?

Sometimes we fall into holes of our own making. Sometimes we fall into holes of someone else’s making. Sometimes we fall into a hole that is just there.

The man and woman in the Garden in our First Lesson want life without consequences. The serpent tempts them with life without consequences. The serpent says, “Did God say, ‘You will die’? You will not die!” Life without consequences is a lie, perpetrated by the Father of Lies. I wonder if original sin might be wanting life without consequences.

The Apostle Paul in our Second Lesson is contrasting Adam and Jesus. Because of Adam’s sin, all sin. Adam is a representative of all humanity. In contrast to Adam, Jesus is righteous. Because of Jesus’ righteousness, all humanity is made righteous. In our Second Lesson for Ash Wednesday, Paul makes the astonishing assertion that God made Jesus to be sin—taking our sin upon himself—so that we might be made righteous: “For our sake, [God] made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21).

Sometimes we fall into holes of our own making. We find ourselves sprawled out in the driveway, on the ice and snow, with our groceries strew around us. Sometimes we fall into holes of someone else’s making. A man standing next to his car on an exit ramp off the freeway is struck and killed. Sometimes we fall into holes that are just there. A 45-year-old pastor, husband, and father dies of cancer.

Whatever the consequences of whatever holes we step into, our God is grieved:

Your heart, O God, is grieved, we know
by ev’ry evil, ev’ry woe . . .

Whatever the consequences of whatever holes we step into, Jesus our Lord bears our burdens:

. . . upon your cross-forsaken Son,
our death is laid, and peace is won.

Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment