Friday, January 24, 2014

". . . so that the cross of Christ might not be emptied of its power."



Friday, January 24, 2014

Scripture

For Christ did not send me to baptize but to proclaim the gospel, and not with eloquent wisdom, so that the cross of Christ might not be emptied of its power. (1 Corinthians 1:17)

Reflection

I have often said that, even if we had no gospels to tell us of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, I would be a Christian based on the compelling witness of the Apostle Paul.

Paul is urging the Christians in Corinth to overcome their petty divisions (“I belong to Paul,” or “I belong to Apollos," or “I belong to Cephas” [v. 12]) and, rather, to be united by the proclamation of the gospel. Paul knew the power of the cross of Christ of which he speaks. That power transformed his life from being a foremost persecutor of those who professed Jesus to one of the foremost witnesses to Jesus. If the power of the cross can accomplish that transformation, how much more can it break down our petty divisions?!

Prayer

Lord Jesus, Speak the power of your cross to us as you did to your servant, Paul. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment