Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Lord is my light and my salvation . . .



Thursday, January 23, 2014

Scripture

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom then shall I fear? (Psalm 27:1a)

Reflection

In the movie, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Gandalf, the good wizard, confronts his enemy, the Necromencer, who gathers around himself a swirling torrent of darkness, a darkness that comes from within himself, encircling him as a ravaging tornado swirling around its vortex, and from the midst of the darkness comes the voice of the dark lord Sauron: “I am the darkness no light can overcome.”

Our psalmist would challenge that assertion. So would the prophet Isaiah (see the reflection from January 22). So would the Gospel writer John: “The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it” (1:4).

Prayer

Gracious God, Shine the light of your love into our darkness. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment