Monday, January 13, 2014

The Lord called me



Monday, January 13

Scripture

The Lord called me before I was born, while I was in my mother’s womb he named me. (Isaiah 49:1b)

Reflection

An astonishing assertion from our prophet, Isaiah. Is he speaking for himself or on behalf of the nation of Israel? In this Second Servant Song from Isaiah, we see foreshadowing of Jesus: “I will give you as a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth” (v. 6b). The job description is too broad for a single individual or even a nation.

Regardless of the referent, whether it be Isaiah, or Israel, or Jesus, we can claim our verse for today as our own. God has called us before we were born, and in baptism, God has called us beloved children.

Prayer

Gracious God, I thank you that you called me before I was born and named me while I was in my mother’s womb. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment