Tuesday, June 17, 2014

"Eaten up by zeal"



Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Scripture

Answer me, O Lord, for your love is kind; in your great compassion, turn to me. (Psalm 69:16)

Reflection

Our psalmist is experiencing the same kind of hostility as our prophet Jeremiah in Monday’s reflection. Listen to the complaint: Surely, for your sake I have suffered reproach, and shame has covered my face. I have become a stranger to my own kindred, an alien to my mother's children. Zeal for your house has eaten me up; the scorn of those who scorn you has fallen upon me (vss.7-9).

When I see families divided because of faith commitments (of lack of them), I remember the words of our psalm and of Jeremiah. When all seems to go well with me and my relationships, I wonder if I might be “holding back” or otherwise compromising my faith commitments so as not to “stir things up” with those around me.

After Jesus “cleansed” the Temple in anger, our psalm was quoted as explanation: “Zeal for your house will consume me” (John 2:17).

Prayer

Gracious God, Consume my heart with the fire of your love, and let me never hold back from speaking of it. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Pastor David

No comments:

Post a Comment