Thursday, June 19, 2014

"Love me more . . ." or "Water is thicker than blood"



Thursday, June 19, 2014

Scripture

“Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me . . .” (Matthew 10:37)

Reflection

Just when we’ve “recovered” (or think we have) from the texts and reflections from Monday and Tuesday, Jesus hits us (again) with difficult words. We must love Jesus more than we love our own flesh and blood!

The old adage goes, “Blood is thicker than water.” Jesus, along with the Apostle Paul (see Wednesday) might turn that phrase upside down: “Water is thicker than blood.” Our  psalmist experienced stress in the relationships with his siblings because of devotion to God (see Tuesday); Jeremiah suffered persecution from those around him. Is it realistic for us to expect “smooth sailing” in our life of devotion to Jesus?

Prayer

Dearest Lord Jesus, Give me grace to love you more than all else. In your name I pray. Amen.

Pastor David

No comments:

Post a Comment