Friday, May 30, 2014

"Cast all you anxieties . . ."



Friday, May30

Scripture

Humble yourselves therefore under the might hand of God, so that he may exalt you in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:6-7)

Reflection

Almost 20 years ago I made somewhere between 30 and 40 cards with some of my favorite verses of Scripture for memorization, each card about the size of a baseball card (I used to collect baseball cards, by the hundreds!). I carried the cards with me everywhere. I used them in the same way students of foreign languages use flash cards. I still refer to them at times; the verses of Scripture give me great comfort.

During these fifty days of Easter, we are hearing from the epistle of 1 Peter as the Second Lesson every Sunday. As I listen to these readings each week, I am amazed at how many of my memory verses come from 1 Peter.

The letter was written to Christians facing persecution. The Apostle Peter was giving them comfort and encouragement. Sometimes the sentiments are very endearing. The Apostle’s love for “his” people is evident. He himself shared in their suffering.

Prayer

Gracious God, Thank you for your promises to care for us. Be with us in our anxiety. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

1 comment: