Saturday, May 10, 2014

Daily Devotion Saturday, May 10



Saturday, May 10, 2014

Scripture

“I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.” (John 10:10b)

Reflection

The abundant life that Jesus promises is not just for the hereafter. It’s for the here and now. And Jesus is not talking about financial abundance, though many who have followed him have enjoyed such abundance. When I visited the impoverished and uneducated peasants of El Salvador in the aftermath of their devastating civil war (when our government was financing the wrong side!), I witnessed an abundance of faith, hope, and love that I had not seen in our comparatively opulent lifestyle. While it is not a blessing to be poor, there can be an abundance of the grace of God flowing in and through the lives of the poor and oppressed. It comes from the knowledge and conviction expressed by our psalmist for this week: “. . . for you are with me . . .” in all circumstances of life (Psalm 23).

Prayer

Gracious God, Give me that abundance of life that Jesus promises. In Jesus’ name. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment