Friday, May 16, 2014

". . . greater works than these . . ."




Friday, May 16

Scripture

“Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father.” (John 14:12)

Reflection

This is one of the most astonishing verses in all of Scripture. It takes my breath away! It is at the same time both an exciting invitation and a daunting challenge.

At the end of this same Gospel, Jesus says to his frightened disciples, “As the Father has sent me, so I send you” (John 20:21). Then he breathes on them, giving them the Holy Spirit.

I wonder if there is a connection between our verse for today and the scene at the end of the Gospel. Our doing “greater works than these” is part and parcel of being sent into the world under the power of the Holy Spirit. It is the Holy Spirit working in and through us that accomplishes these “greater works.”

Prayer

Lord Jesus, Thank you for the promise of doing “greater works” and the power of the Holy Spirit to accomplish them. Continue to work in and through me. I pray in your holy name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment