Tuesday, May 13, 2014

"Into your hands I commend my spirit"



Tuesday, May 13

Scripture

Into your hands I commend my spirit, for you have redeemed me, O Lord, God of truth. (Psalm 31:5)

Reflection

Our psalmist has experienced extreme hardship and persecution, “the scorn of all my enemies, a disgrace to my neighbors, a dismay to my acquaintances; when they see me in the street they avoid me” (vs. 11). Our psalmist pleads, “Take me out of the net that they have secretly set for me . . .” (vs. 4). Our psalmist seems desperate: “For my life is wasted with grief, and my years with sighing; my strength fails me because of affliction, and my bones are consumed” (vs. 10). Therefore, our psalmist sings, “In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge; let me never be put to shame . . .” (vs. 1).

Whatever distresses I might experience, it seems our psalmist has experienced even more. Is it any wonder that our verse for today was on the lips of the One who experienced the grief and sin of the world on our behalf as he hung on the cross?! (see Monday’s reflection).

Prayer

Gracious God, Give to me the same confidence in your saving power that was uttered on the lips of our psalmist, Stephen, and our Lord. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment